• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup oat or almond flour (You can use 2 cups of all-purpose flour or easily make your own oat flour by food processing oatmeal until flour consistency)
• 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar (you can also use granulated sugar as a substitute)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup kefir (you can also use yogurt or buttermilk as a substitute)
• 2 large eggs
• 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
• 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions1. Preheat oven to 425°. Grease doughnut pans.
2. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
3. Combine kefir, eggs, honey, butter, and vanilla, stirring well with a whisk. Add wet mixture to flour mixture; whisk until just combined.
4. Spoon batter into doughnut pans, filling two thirds full. Bake in middle of oven until doughnuts spring back when touched and are golden on bottom (7-9 minutes). Let cool in pan slightly (about 4 minutes). Cool on a wire rack.
5. While donuts are baking, make the berry icing. (See below)
6. Dip into berry icing before serving.
For Berry Icing
1. Over the stove, cook berries with sugar and a couple tablespoons of water over medium heat until the berries are cooked down to a sauce (10-15 minutes).
2. You can strain into a bowl to get rid of extra seeds.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix well.
4. Dip baked donuts into berry icing.