Poison Ivy... Not a Fan

A nice trip up north ruined by my first encounter with poison ivy.

Did you know that poison ivy is not contagious?

I've been avoiding my kids all week because of my first brush with the poison ivy plant.  I didn't even know I had it until I'd scratched some weird looking bug bites too much.  By the 3rd night I was in Hell.  Itching so hard it was painful and I wasn't even awake for most of it.  Anywho, went to the doctor today to see if they could do more than the over-the-counter spray that says use only 3 times a day which I of course, used 11 times a day.  They could.

I got a shot and some cream and some pills and more pills all to help with itching and the allergic reaction I was having to the oil.  Dr. Remus, in her sweet all-knowing way, told me it wasn't contagious and I never had to worry about touching other people and things.  The clear liquid that oozes from the blisters can spread the rash ON YOURSELF, but not to other people.  They can only get it from the oil of the plant.  Interesting.

You learn something new everyday-- and almost always when it involves a needle.

So, hopefully I will be all clear to break out the "cruisewear" for the big trip to Alaska on Saturday!

Read More Blogs
WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability
Gray Television, Inc.